Kununurra is produced from a mixture of grounded tiger nuts (also known as earth almond), dates and coconut water.Kunu drink business is just like a zobo business venture and is a profitable one. This article will guide you on how to start the kunu business in Nigeria.
- 1 About the Kunu Drink
- 2 How to start kunu drink business
- 3 Reasons you should Start Kunu Business in Nigeria
- 4 Conclusion
About the Kunu Drink
They are not only found in Nigeria but are seen in other countries either as grass or nuts. They are eaten as nut in North Africa and as chufa drink in Spain. In Nigeria, they are consumed both as drinks and as nuts. Different tribes have different names for it. The seeds are called Aya in Hausa land, Yoruba’s calls it ofio, Igbos refer to it as Imumu and Calabar as Isip Isong. Tiger nuts are not actually nuts in the real sense but tubers, they share the same chemical composition and characteristics with tubers and nuts.
The chaffs gotten when processing the drink can be dried and used in making gluten-free flour for baking or used as additional fibre when making smoothies (pap, cereals etc). You can also produce this drink from maize and sorghum. The millet used in the production of this drink is enriched in nutrients and natural vitamins like vitamin b, starch, potassium, iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium.This kunu drink adds fat to one’s body but it is the natural and healthy kind of fat that will keep you fit.
These are ingredients and materials that are needed to produce tiger nut drinks:
- Tiger nut
- Coconut (optional)
- Chiffon (for sieving)
- Water, bowl, grinder and container
- 3 cups millet
- 1 tablespoon ginger ( fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper/cloves
- Sugar to taste
- Vanilla essence ( optional)
- 2 liters of waterwater
How to start kunu drink business
1. Undergo training
It is very important that you learn how to make this drink yourself because you stand to gain more when you do it yourself and it will also cut costs for you rather than paying someone else to do it you will save your money and use it for other things.
2. Meet experienced people
You should meet people that are already in this line of business as you stand to gain more from their knowledge. Be sure to discuss everything about this business with them and be open to suggestions. When you discuss with experience people you will get to know more about the challenges you will face in this line of business and be prepared ahead of time.
3. Get capital
Every business in Nigeria needs capital especially with the way the economy is going things are really hard so you have to make provision for the capital to finance the project. It is advisable to create an account in the bank where you can save the profit of the business as this will help you to keep an eye on the business growth.
4. Get necessary items
There are some basic things you require in order to start this business and they include refrigerator, Sieve, cooler, basins, and steel spoons. If you don’t have some of these items then you should get them in the market.
5. Get a name
A brand name is required for any business in Nigeria and around the globe so it is essential that you get a brand name for your drink business. Usually, people form their business name from their personal name or you can do whatever appeals to you and would easily sell your market.
6. Register your brand
It is necessary that you register your new business with the corporate affairs commission. You can always register it as a business name and not as a limited liability company since it’s a small business. The price to register your business name is not more than N20000.
7. Get NAFDAC approval
Since we are dealing with consumable which might affect the health, it is very important that you gain NAFDAC approval for your drinks. it will have to go through inspection and registration from government and after that, you get a registration number and once this is done you are certified.
Reason being that a lot of people are scared of buying things that are not registered with NAFDAC because of the several diseases people gain from fake products in Nigeria.
Getting your business registered with the government will assure your customers that they are safe with your products and will recommend you to several others.
Preservation of Kunu Drink
- Tiger nuts drink can last more than three days if you add ginger. In other to preserve them you should include ginger, grind it along side other ingredients to prevent Aya drink from getting spoilt easily.
- Use a very unique container to package them for sale. A smaller container will go for #100 like the smallest water bottle type. You can sell this drink in hospitals, schools, markets etc. People are even looking for them to buy without success.
- You can add different flavours to it and also use preservative if you are going into commercial kunu business.
- If soybeans milk can be preserved without it getting spoilt then kunu drink can also be preserved. This can be done through pasteurization after which the container used is well cord. It will make it to last longer.
Reasons you should Start Kunu Business in Nigeria
- Kunu business is very profitable and also lucrative.
- It has few competitors as the business is yet to be tapped by many.
- Kunu is very easy to prepare. It does not require special training to start.
- The business can be started with small amount.
- Tiger nuts drink business has a good market potentials because people love and consume more now for health reasons.
- It can be done at the comfort of your home.
Kunu Business is a very profitable one as their is less competition and it is highly consumed in Nigeria because of the health benefits it provides. Why not venture into the business and use this article as a guide.
- Plantain Farming – How to Start a Plantain Business in Nigeria - September 2, 2021
- How to Start an Electronics Store Business in Nigeria - August 30, 2021
- How to start kunu drink business in Nigeria - August 26, 2021