Are you looking for a legit way of becoming a millionaire in Nigeria? Pork business is a lucrative one that you can make money from as it has high market demand and pigs reproduce in large numbers and grow super fast.
Pig farming is a branch of animal husbandry involved in the raising and breeding of domestic pigs as livestock. it is also known as hog farming or piggery. Pigs are farmed principally for food and skins. Pigs are amenable to many different styles of farming: intensive commercial units, commercial free range enterprises, or extensive farming.
Pigs are among the most versatile animals humans have ever domesticated as they keep them as pets, eat them or use them to make leather and lots more.
Though, we think of them as hungry, dirty and messy, this is because pigs actually do not have sweat glands, which is why they tend to roll in the mud in nature to keep cool.
- 1 Here are some useful guides in starting a pig farming business in Nigeria
- 2 Necessary Pig Farming Equipment In Nigeria
- 3 Benefits of Pig Farming
- 4 Risks Associated With Pig Farming
- 5 Conclusion
Here are some useful guides in starting a pig farming business in Nigeria
Get a Farmland for Breeding
If you are new to pig farming, then a plot of land wouldn’t be bad for a start. For large scale pig farming, a big farmland will be worthwhile because it will enable the pigs to graze in the open and then retire to the pen where they’ll continue feeding and playing. In pig farming business, the land is your primary investment. Once you can secure a pig farmland, you’re halfway near a successful business empire.
Getting a farmland in rural areas can save you lots of money. One acre of land in a rural area should be roughly N250,000. It’s best you do a thorough research regarding getting a farmland for this business. Once the land is set, you can transport your goods to nearby town. Sometimes, butchers may even come to your farm to buy, thereby saving you cost for transportation.
Build Modern Pens
Setting up a big pen is necessary if you don’t want the pigs to injure themselves. A well-equipped and spacious pen can save you lots of money which would have been spent on treating diseases. A proper drainage system is essential to avoid stagnation of water around the pen which could attract disease vectors.
To prevent your pigs from getting dirty, building a water pool where they’ll play, swim and cool themselves will be necessary. This concept is essential for their wellbeing.
Buy Healthy Pigs
Doing a proper research on pigs can as well save you lots of cash. When you buy piglets with untraceable history, you’ll lose a lot of money. You should consider buying piglets with a history of vaccination. It is advisable to start with a small number of piglets and then increase gradually. This way you’ll be able to learn the nook and cranny of pig farming business and eventually, your risk will be minimal.
If you’re starting a small scale pig farming business, you can employ at least 4-5 persons to help you out in cleaning the pigs and pens as well as feeding them on a regular basis.
Proper feeding is essential for the growth and development of pigs. Healthy feeding implies good sales. If the pigs are not properly fed, your pig farming business is bound to fail. Pigs need foods containing a high amount of fibre, carbohydrates, vitamins, protein and minerals to grow properly. The sole aim of feeding pigs is to make them market ready, so feeding should be properly done.
Pigs like other farm animals need a constant supply of fresh water. We all know the behavior of pigs and we must ensure that their water is changed regularly. Whatever promotes cleanliness and healthy living to your pigs should be properly carried out.
Get a Veterinary Doctor
You need the services of vet doctors for regular checkup and vaccination as well as feeding and nutrition advice.
There is a good market of pig meat (pork). You can sell your products in your local market or international market. Pig meat is tasty, nutritious and has a great global popularity.
Necessary Pig Farming Equipment In Nigeria
When starting a pig farming business in Nigeria, you also need to consider the equipment that would be needed. Someof the equipments are:
1. Pig Board
Pig board is a large flat barricade that is placed behind pigs when moving through a race to encourage them forward and prevent them turning around.
It is always a good idea to have a pig board with you, as you work with your pigs. Even just going into their area to clean up or feed them, as this gives you a moment of safety.
2. Hog Snare
When it’s time to wean the piglets or if a mature pig becomes ill or injured, a hog snare can be helpful. You need patience and practice because pigs move much faster.
After you get the pig where you want it, then keep it there, while you attend to its wounds or administer medication. A restraining snare is used in addition to the pig board. Work quickly, and do not keep the pig restrained in the snare for long.
3. Mineral Feeder
All animals need minerals. Pigs can obtain some of the minerals they need by rooting in the dirt. To be sure your pigs are getting the right level of all minerals, feeding a mineral supplement is a good idea.
Some farmers will mix the minerals into the grain and feed as one ration. When you use pasture as the food source, a separate mineral supplement can be offered. In this case, using a mineral feeder will cut down on waste. Pigs can eat what they need while the feeder protects the supplement from wet weather, tipping over, or being rooted into the ground.
You can place the mineral feeders on the ground, or mount on the wall.
4. Heat Lamps for Piglets or Sick Pig
Heat lamps can help the piglets survive in cold weather. They are always a safety measure when raising piglets.
Just make sure you hang it securely where the pigs can’t knock it down. In this case, I would recommend purchasing the best equipment you can afford. Hang the heat source securely where the animals can’t knock it down. Check it often to make sure it is secure and working.
5. Hoof Trimmers
Hoof trimmers, is the fastest and safest way to trim off overgrown hoof or an injury causing a problem, just make sure you disinfect hoof trimmers, before using to prevent transmitting any bacteria between animals.
6. Farrowing crate
A farrowing crate provides a safe and comfortable environment for the sows to childbirth and breeding. It is also important to improve the survival rate of piglets.
At the same time, the farrowing crate has a great influence on the lactation and energy recovery of the sows.
Benefits of Pig Farming
Pig farming also has a lot of advantages, some of which are stated below:
- Source of Food: Pig’s meat contains protein which is high in energy, attractive, nutritious, tasty and tender.
- Source of Income: Pigs are reared mainly for meat, pigskin, bristle, and manure. Therefore, apart from just seeing them as mainly meat producers, their skin and bristle are useful. They can be sold in exchange for money.
- High Level Breeders: Pigs usually breed twice a year and produce about 12 piglets in a litter. Unlike any other livestock, their weight may double in the first week of life, if they obtain sufficient milk from the sow.
- Source of Employment Opportunity: Pig farming in Nigeria, provide jobs opportunity for the unemployed members of the labor force. Pig business owners need staffs to maintain their pig farms.
- Cheaper Cost of Feeding: Since pigs are omnivorous, they can be fed with a wide variety of products like roughage, kitchen garbage, agricultural waste etc.
- Diseases: Pigs are less susceptible to diseases, unlike poultry farming. They adapt easily to most environments (hot or cold). This makes it possible for pigs to be raised on both a small and large scale.
- Manure: Faeces of pigs is used as a manure to maintain soil fertility.
Risks Associated With Pig Farming
All businesses with advantages also has its own disadvantages attached to it. Below are the risks associated with Pig Farming in Nigeria.
- Pigs are Not Readily Everywhere In Nigeria as pig farming is a taboo in some places i.e. Northern Nigeria, because of their religious belief against pigs, so you must consider this before starting pig farming in Nigeria.
- Just like in any type of agriculture anything can happen; disease outbreaks, wrong selection of the initial herd, the mortality of young animals, etc.
- Sows may be unable to produce the required minimum of 6 piglets, sows eating their newborns, bad practices by farmers or their workers, etc.
- Lack of experience, high cost of water and electricity, poor quality pig feed may turn out to be huge risks of the business.
There is nothing as good as being in business you are sure of making profit. All you need to do is to feed and take care of your pigs.
- Top 10 richest people in Nigeria in (2021) and their Net Worth - May 14, 2021
- Printing Business: Comprehensive Guide On How To Start Printing Business - May 13, 2021
- How to Start Pampers and Baby Item Supply in Nigeria - May 12, 2021